…if there were just one exercise which could be performed with a dumbbell, and it were the one hand swing in its various forms, that single dumbbell training should be made a part of the training of any man who is ambitious physically.
– Cletus Snelbaker, “The Dumbbell Swing”, Strength & Health, 1943.
Part #1: Preparatory Exercises [Instructional Video – 5:01]
- Similarities & differences between Hardstyle kettlebell swing and old-school dumbbell swing
- How to get your shoulders ready for any overhead dumbbell work
- The best preparation drill for the dip under the dumbbell
- Correct setup for a dumbbell deadlift – and later swing
- One-Arm dumbbell deadlift – grip, dumbbell orientation after the lockout and other key details
I wish to say that I have never seen a star at the snatch or swing of was not beautifully built. The top-heavy man – the man with the big shoulders and thin legs – falls down utterly when he is asked to “swing” or “snatch” a really heavy weight. The men who hold the records in the swing and snatch are beautifully made. Their proportions are admirable, and they are of surpassing symmetry. Since the “quick lifts” require bodily strength it means that to succeed at these lifts you must have a body which is developed from head to heel.
– Alan Calvert, Super-Strength, 1924.
Part #2: One-Arm Dumbbell Swing [Instructional Video – 8:07]
- Quarter dumbbell swing and drop – not a backswing – and a continuous quarter dumbbell swing
- Full One-Arm Dumbbell Swing – power variation
- Minimum standard to shoot for
- What is a “back hang”, why, and when to use it
- BONUS: A drill that will get you ready for more advanced variations of the dumbbell swing
“There is no doubt that it will keep your muscles, especially your back, strong and flexible and, whether you are bent on breaking records or simply trying to keep fit, either of the swing exercises will benefit you.”
– John C. Grimek, “The Swing. The Forgotten Lift”, Strength & Health, 1959.
Part #3: SDS Swing Alfa & Beta Protocols [.pdf Manual]
- Standing on the shoulders of giants
- Learning the dumbbell One-Arm Swing
- Finding a “sort of 1RM”
- SDS Alfa & Beta Protocols
- How to combine the dumbbell swing with different lifts
2,906 total views, 9 views today