The above photograph is the only one which has been published showing me with the bell at the shoulder in the act of pressing. In it I show how to take up a firm position with the feet, and it will be noticed that the right leg is straight contrary to the position generally assumed by the beginner attempting to learn the body press, and even by many a lifter who has had years of experience. In the photograph I show exactly where the elbow should be placed, and it does not require much imagination to gain a correct idea of how the body should fall in the downward direction.
In practicing the bent press, I would recommend that you start at a low poundage and work up to near your limit: Each time you lift, think of only one pointer and do that correctly. Forget about all the other ones. This will make it so you will be able to perform this one pointer without thinking of it. Then, take another one, etc.
I am listing a number of pointers that you should master before you consider your style correct:
- StrongFirst RESILIENT - Paris, France, February 8-9, 2020 $795.00
StrongFirst SFB Bodyweight Instructor Certification - Prague, Czechia, April 25-26, 2020
StrongFirst RESILIENT - Seattle, Washington, USA, May 23-24, 2020
StrongFirst RESILIENT - Ashburn, Virginia, USA, May 30-31, 2020
StrongFirst RESILIENT - Kraków, Poland, June 13-14, 2020
StrongFirst SFB Bodyweight Instructor Certification - Paris, France, July 11-12, 2020
Get resilient, antifragile, strong - #SIMPLEXSTRONG!
#oldtimestrongman #StrongFirst #kettlebell #barbell #dumbbell
- Thomas Inch’s Dumbbell Get-Up Tutorial 
- Siegmund Klein: How Much Can You Bent Press? 
- The Ancient Art of Club Swinging
- The Bent Press by Arthur Saxon
- Harold Ansorge: Systematic Practice the Bent Press – 21 Pointers 
- Health & Strength: Light vs. Heavy Dumbbells
- Orlick/Weider: Abdominal Exercises for Strength and Power (1944)
- George Hackenschmidt: One Hand [Dumbbell] Snatch 
- “The Russian Lion” George Hackenschmidt [VIDEO]
- Arthur “Archie” Allaire: The One Hand Military Press (1928)