“Flowing water does not rot, nor door-hinge rust.” (liú shuǐ bù fǔ , hù shū bù dù 流水不腐，户枢不蠹)
– Chinese saying
Mobility drills will lube up your joints and help you to fix damaged ones. These are light movements and rotations designed to take the joints through a full range of movement. Mobility drills are performed as a stand-alone workout in the morning and done for as many reps as you are old and/or can be done before a workout for reps of 10-20.
– Jon Engum, Flexible Steel: An Insider’s Guide to Ultimate Flexibility, 2013.
- Do the exercises in the morning.
- Gradually increase the range of motion and speed.
- Start with 10 reps per drill, and add 10 reps a week. Eventually match the number of reps in each of the exercises to your age.
- Split the total number of reps into as many sets as needed, e.g. if you are 30, do 10 reps, short rest, then another 10 reps, rest, and last 10 reps.